Friday, September 16, 2022

Review of "Per My Last Email: Witty, Wicked and Wonderfully Weird Workplace Words and Phrases" by Stephanie K. Wright

 


Are you tired of using the same old words week after week? Do you want to put some verve in your vocabulary? Are you itching to improve your emails? Then this is the book for you.

Stephanie Wright scoured dictionaries, dusty books, and hieroglyphic manuscripts (just kidding) to come up with this collection of alternative ways to express yourself. And in case you're wondering, the author asserts, "Any relation to words created from a secret language you made up as a kid is purely coincidental."

The book is aimed at corporate employees, but most folks could find uses for the innovative words and expressions. To provide a feel for the book I'll provide an aperçu (brief glimpse).

*****

Want to call a meeting. You can say:

We are pulling together a boodle (crowd) to discuss the next office party.
It is time to constellate (form a group) to choose the new corporate logo.



*****

Want to have a productive meeting? You can say:

This is a short meeting. Blatherskiting (talking at great length) will not be tolerated.
Please keep your comments brief to avoid the overwhelming abulomania (indecisiveness) surrounding the topic.



*****

Are you befuddled? You can say:

It seems there is a gallimaufry (confusing group) of choices for the new hire.
If the goal of that question was to metagrobolize (mystify) the team, it worked.



*****

Need a fresh greeting? You can say:

What's kicking, chickens?
How farest though?



*****

Having a rough day? You can say:

My whole family has the flu. I am utterly chapfallen (cast down in spirit).
I'm feeling querulous (in a bad mood), so I suggest you leave me alone.



*****

Do you have a lot going on? You can say:

With the release happening in three days, the entire team is full on negotious (very busy) right now.
I have a hundred things to do. I am completely snowed under (crushed with work) today.



*****

Are people annoying you? You can say:

Please don't put Beau on my team. I already have to work with two lurdans (incompetent persons).
Kravitz is the ultimate quidnunc (gossipy person). I wonder what he's saying about me.



*****

Want to blow off steam? You can say:

Zooterkins! (all purpose swear word). What did you just do to the copier?
Whoever left the paper tray empty again is a total jackwagon (worthless person).



*****

Hoping to hear from someone soon? You can say:

Methodically binge-eating candy while I await your reply.
Going to check out the latest Twitter drama while you consider my proposal.



*****

Want to shush someone? You can say:

Oh my freakin' stars! Can we just cut the cackle (stop talking nonsense) and get on with the meeting.
Please save it (stop talking) Fran! We've already heard about all the followers you have on Instagram.



*****

Feeling particularly nasty? You can say:

Stan, you've accomplished exactly nothing. I have never before met a scobberlotcher (lazy human) of your caliber.
I was having fun until our resident smellfungus (killjoy) showed up to kill the mood.



*****

Want to give someone a compliment? You can say:

Jane is a bosting (excellent) coder. She can finish a project in two days.
Sam's spiffing (splendid) commercial was perfect for the plush toy launch.



*****

Want to quit? You can say:

I've decided to demit (resign a job) my position as project manager to go to cosmetology school.
I have made the decision to scarper (leave a place) and head to San Francisco to open a bakery.



*****

There are TONS more words, expressions, and suggestions for effective (but fun) emails in the book. And there's an Index at the back for convenience. I'd recommend the book to people who want to gussy up their verbiage or just have a laugh.

Thanks to Netgalley, Stephanie K. Wright, and Andrews McMeel Publishing for a copy of the book.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment